Transfer of Graduate-level Course Credits

Policy on Transfer of Credit (Updated September 2003)

  • All requests for transfer of credit must identify clearly the course at the other institution for which transfer is requested, and the course at the University of Delaware to which that course maps. Note that the University rules require a one-to-one mapping.
  • University rules also require that the course being transferred must have been taught at the graduate level, be no more than 5 years old, that the student must have a grade of B- or better in it, that the student must not have been a continuing education student at the other institution while taking the course, and that the course must not have been counted towards a degree at any institution.
  • Courses taken at the University of Delaware's Division of Continuing Education can be transferred if they satisfy the other conditions of transfer.
  • A maximum of 9 credits can be transferred. This includes CEND credits at Delaware and courses from other institutions.
  • No request for transfer of credit will be allowed for a course that is not equivalent to a course taught by the CIS Department at UD. Thus, we cannot transfer a course that is equivalent to, say, a course in Electrical & Computer Engineering. Also, the course must be a ``current'' course, i.e., have been taught in our department at least once within the last five years.
  • The institution from which transfer of credit is requested must use a letter grading system.
  • No request for transfer of credit from a foreign institution will be allowed for courses that are taught at the 800-level in our department.
  • Only courses that are completely taught in English can be transferred.
  • A request for transfer of credit must be accompanied by:
    • an official transcript from the other institution showing the year in which the course was taken and the grade received. If we have a transcript on file in our records, we can use that.
    • a detailed syllabus for the course that includes the name of the textbook. Providing a URL to the course's website can be helpful. However, a brief catalog description of the course contents is not sufficient.
    • If course notes, homeworks, projects, exams etc. are available, they can be extremely helpful in establishing equivalency. In many cases, if the syllabus is not detailed enough and such extra information is not available, the request is likely to be denied.
    • the URL of the institution and the department where the course was taken, where information can be found on the faculty in the department, other courses taught, and the grading methods used.
Bookmark and Share